NEWS AND EVENTS
BIG LITTLE LIBRARY
Gateacre School in conjunction with Belle Vale Shopping Centre is creating the BIG Little Library by Gateacre School.
Its a take a book, return a book, donate a book gathering place where the community can share their favourite literature and stories.
In its most basic form, a Little Library is a box full of books where anyone may stop by and pick up a book (or two) and bring back another book to share. We are taking it one step further by creating an actual shop full of books, which have been donated by local residents, businesses, students and the wider community over the last 9 months.
The purpose of the shop is:
- To become an inspiring gathering place where the community can share their favourite literature and stories.
- To help to engage all members of the local communities; from children, young people and adults from different backgrounds.
- To encourage people to enjoy reading and discover how it benefits their wellbeing.
- To develop a broader range of English and Literacy skills.
- To build strong, mutually supportive communities who read together.
- To provide enjoyable, welcoming and meaningful activities within the community, inspiring people to engage in other local and city-wide activities.
- To improve wellbeing, increase social engagement and widen cultural horizons.
The Shop will open on World Book Day 5th March for 3 months. Along with many literacy and creative activities taking place in the shop itself, we plan on building 10 Little Libraries as well as 10 Recycled Libraries (with help from our good friends Bulky Bob) and will donate them to our local community to create a network of Little Libraries.
The library has been set up in Unit 28a, next to Argos in the Shopping Centre.
If you would like a Little Library please contact Gateacre School on;
0151 235 1400 or email email@example.com
BOOK DONATION 2015
Belle Vale Shopping Centre is working in association with Gateacre School to promote literacy amongst children in the community.
There will be various events held in the centre over the coming months, that will tie in with World Book Day in March 2015.
We are starting the project by asking the local community to donate their unwanted books to Belle Vale, that will be used by the children as part of this project.
Details of all events will be advertised in the centre and on the centre media sites.
British Heart Foundation
We are pleased to welcome another new retailer to the centre. BHF will be opening soon in Unit A, next door to Game.
They are currently working on their shop fit and are due to open at the end of March / early April.